Apple Mac and Nest Cam, together. What a sight!
Watch Cam lets you monitor all your Nest Cams from your Macs menu bar, or the notification center widget.
• Click on the menu bar, which highlights the last recorded event time, to open the app popout. All your cameras are shown with live feed, or the last event clip playing.
• Swipe to open the notification center, and the cameras are displayed in the widget, again showing the live feed or the last event.
• Menu bar will update instantly to display any newly recorded events, and will show how much time has passed since the last event, in an easily glanceable format (eg. "5 minutes ago").
• For the first 15 minutes, the event time in the menu bar will be highlighed in green, to draw your attention. The event time will disappear from the menu bar altogether after one hour, unless a newer event appears. Options for this are configurable in the settings menu.
• Clicking on the Event clip, or the Live feed view, will open the Nest website, and deep link into the respective camera.
• When the app popout is opened, if the camera has an event less than 15 minutes old, the event clip will play. Otherwise, the Live feed will be shown. You can switch between the Live feed and Event views at any time, by pressing the small camera icon to the left of the camera view.
Make sure to sign in with your main Nest account. At this time, Nest doesnt allow support for Family accounts in 3rd party apps.
While the apps minimalist looks betray the simplicity of its operation, what they dont show is the amount of planning, design, development and refinement that went into it, ensuring it becomes something that is enjoyable to use and experience.
The goal was to make a product that would feel like it truly belongs to both the macOS, and Nest ecosystems.
Please Note: Watch Cam does not collect any of your data. Your login information, camera settings, and any activity - all of it flows exclusively between your Mac, your cameras, and Nest Labs. Author of Watch Cam has no access to any of it, at any point.